SASSA Card Balance: The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) provides social grants and services to millions of South Africans. If you receive a SASSA grant loaded onto a SASSA card, you likely want to regularly check your SASSA balance to track your grant payments and spending. There are several easy methods to check your remaining balance through online portals, the SASSA card app, SMS, USSD, and by phone.
Online SASSA Balance Portal
One of the easiest ways to check your SASSA balance is using the SASSA balance enquiry portal available on the official SASSA website at sassastatuss.co.za. This portal allows you to check your grant status and remaining balance online without registering.
To check your balance on the SASSA portal:
- Go to sassastatuss.co.za
- Enter your 13-digit SASSA card number
- Enter the card expiry date
- Click on “Submit Query”
You will then see the available balance remaining on your SASSA card. This online balance portal is available 24/7 and allows you to easily check your status anytime.
The SASSA app allows grant beneficiaries to view their SASSA balance, transaction history, and account details directly from their smartphone. The SASSA app is free to download for Android and iOS devices.
To check your SASSA card balance using the app:
- Download and install the SASSA app on your smartphone
- Open the app and log in using your SASSA card number and PIN
- Your account dashboard will display your current balance
- You can also view recent transactions, statements, and other account details
Using the SASSA app is a convenient way to monitor your balance, payments, and spending right from your phone. The app also allows you to securely change your PIN and block your card if needed.
SASSA Balance Check via SMS
You can also check your SASSA balance by sending an SMS from your phone. This method works on any cell phone and does not require having a smartphone or using mobile data.
To check your balance via SMS:
- On your phone, create and send an SMS to 41058
- The message content should be: Balance [space] your 13-digit SASSA card number
- You will receive a reply SMS displaying your current SASSA balance.
This SMS balance check works on all major South African mobile networks. Sending the SMS is free – you will only pay your standard network rates for receiving SMS replies.
USSD Balance Check
USSD balance checks provide another way to check your SASSA balance without needing internet access or an app. USSD uses your phone’s standard GSM network.
To check your balance with USSD:
- On your cellphone, dial 12069256#
- Select option 1 for Balance Enquiry
- Enter your 13-digit SASSA card number
- Your account balance will display on screen
This USSD method works on any basic phone and does not incur any charges. However, some mobile networks limit the number of USSD requests per day.
Telephone Balance Enquiry
You can also check your remaining SASSA balance by calling the SASSA contact centre toll-free hotline at 0800 60 10 11.
To check your balance over the phone:
- Call 0800 60 10 11 toll-free from any phone
- Select option 1 for Grant Enquiries
- Select option 2 for Balance Enquiry
- Enter your 13-digit card number when prompted
- You will then hear your current SASSA card balance
The automated phone service is available 24/7 and allows you to easily check your balance at any time without any charges. You can also speak to a SASSA agent if needed for further account assistance.
Tips for Checking SASSA Card Balance
- Check your balance regularly to monitor payments and spending
- Use the convenient online, app, SMS, USSD, and phone balance check methods.
- Record and track your balance after each payment to budget effectively
- Contact SASSA if your grant payment is delayed or your balance seems incorrect
- Avoid frequently checking balance unnecessarily to reduce transaction fees if applicable.
- Keep your PIN secret and card secure when not in use to prevent unauthorized access
Checking your SASSA balance is quick and easy using the available online, mobile, SMS, USSD and telephone options. Monitoring your balance helps track grant payments and spending and highlights any issues requiring follow up with SASSA.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often can I check my SASSA card balance?
You can check your SASSA card balance as often as needed. There are no limits on how many times you can check your balance using the online, app, SMS, USSD or phone methods. However, some mobile networks may limit the number of free USSD balance checks per day.
Do I need airtime or data to check my SASSA balance?
You do not need airtime or mobile data to check your balance via SMS, USSD or by calling the SASSA hotline. However, you will need data access on a smartphone to use the online portal or SASSA card app.
Is there a fee for checking my SASSA card balance?
Checking your SASSA card balance is free using the official online portal, mobile app, SMS, USSD and toll-free phone line. You will only pay your standard network costs for receiving SMS replies.
Can I check my balance if my SASSA card is blocked or expired?
Yes, you can still check your SASSA card balance even if your card is blocked, provided your grant account remains active. Your balance remains viewable on the online portal, app and phone service.
What happens if I enter the wrong card number for balance check?
If you enter an incorrect SASSA card number, the online portal, app, SMS, USSD and phone service will show an error and be unable to display your balance. You need to enter the correct 13-digit card number.
Why does my new SASSA card not show any balance?
If your new SASSA card shows no balance, it may not yet be activated. Contact SASSA to activate new cards before balance checks will work and grant payments will be loaded.
Who can check the balance on my SASSA card?
Only you as the SASSA grant beneficiary should check the balance on your SASSA card. Never share your card PIN or card number with anyone, as this allows them to view and access your confidential account information.